Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Missy Makes a Comeback


Missy Elliot talks about her new album and the future of Hip-Hop in the upcoming edition of Billboard Magazine:

Billboard:What are your thoughts on the current state of Hip-Hop?

“Well, if anyone knows me, they’d know I try not to listen to the radio or watch TV. I’ve been doing that since my very first album. I think you can be easily influenced by other music, and before you know it you start doing records that sound like someone else just because you think it’s music that’s working. I hear a lot of great songs. And then I hear some that aren’t so original and creative. Back in the day artists had their own styles. You couldn’t say Heavy D sounded like Rakim, or Salt-N-Pepa sounded like MC Lyte, or Big Daddy Kane sounded like Erick Sermon. These days, people try to follow a formula because they see it’s worked for others. But that keeps them from being original and creative, (or) at least not as original and creative as it used to be before.”

Not that we disagree with ole girl, but we’re curious as to the originality of her new jawn, “Block Party” that’s set to drop in August. Time will tell…

No comments: